Thursday, July 8, 2010

How long does it take for a broken coccyx to heal?

How long does it take for a broken tailbone to heal?
6 months.

I am certain I broke my coccyx while sandboarding last October. I didn't get it checked out, but I had all the classic signs. For 2 straight weeks, it hurt like hell getting up out of a chair. I would 'string my errands' together to minimize the number of times I got up to do something. Sitting down didn't really hurt, just getting up or shifting position.

After that, I just had constant reminders when getting up, shifting positions, or sitting in the exact wrong position. This got better over time, but for no less than six months, I could feel a dull pain occasionally during the day, and every once in awhile it would catch me off-guard and I would wince.

I read people's similar injuries being painful for months, years, or even lifetimes.
Happily, after April, though, it went away completely. Also, it didn't really affect running or anything else much. Slight soreness when bike riding, but tolerable. Never knew if running or bike riding would make it worse, or if it would affect my stride and lead to other injuries, but it didn't. I know I ran some that week, and I'm sure I hiked the next day.

So there you have it, just putting that out there for future Google-ability. Broken coccyx? Don't despair, keep doing stuff as long as it doesn't make it hurt worse.

No comments:

Post a Comment