Thursday, September 11, 2014

The next run...

I had nothing on the schedule after Bighorn.  And that nothingness was great.

The Bighorn finish means I have 2 more lottery years of eligibility for Hardrock.  That's the long-term goal.  I've calmly accepted that I'll get my chance eventually, and that each run or hike -- especially when it's uncomfortable -- is another training step for Hardrock.

I was able to get some good rides on the mountain and road bike instead this summer.  But the most fun I had running was up by Cameron Pass, on a great weekend of scouting for Gnar Runners' Neversummer 100k slated for July next year.  Since I'll still probabilistically not get into HR this coming year, which is fine, I'm excited about races like that, as well as some more hikes/runs and mountain bike rides.



The Neversummer 100k has the potential to be a phenomenal event on a very inspiring course.  The only thing better than tromping through those mountains and woods will be doing it with friends and family cheering and hanging out at campfires.  Can't wait!

A handful of other 100's otherwise hold my interest, but at this point it's clear that I won't spend many more years running these things, and certainly not racing them.  I can finish them comfortably, with a smile on my face, but am not able or willing, for better or worse, to push into that realm of competitiveness at that distance.  I've had some incredible experiences and gotten more than I ever thought out of it, but I'll focus more on variety.  Hope to be on the skis and bike more -- and taking some slower, family-friendly hikes -- instead of looking too far forward.


No comments:

Post a Comment