Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Tomato Soup Recipe



Tomato Soup
1. Take Tomatoes
2. Blend tomatoes to make soup
3. Heat









When the weather is cold and wet, my fancy turns to soups.
So I wanted to share my tomato soup recipe. It's easy -- you take some tomatoes and make soup! Seriously. I used to love tomato soup as a kid and teenager, but the thin red salty crap from Campbell's didn't cut it for me anymore. So I didn't really make it at home again until recently -- I just never thought about taking the extra 100 seconds or so (including cleanup) to make my own soup!

Bonus if you have fresh tomatoes, but one good option is a big can of organic tomatoes, which are usually around $2.50 at Sunflower (which is big enough for 2 or 3 servings). Sure, condensed soup is like a buck, but so are candy bars and the McDonald's value menu!
And, I like having these canned tomatoes around because it's they're versatile (sauce, salsas, burritos, stir fry, etc.). To make soup, I just use my trusty hand blender. I'll add basil, garlic, even carrots today; and you can make it creamy with milk or plain yogurt; but it's good enough as-is. Restaurant quality!

2 comments:

  1. I don't know, I'd kind of miss the gelatinous *plop* that the concentrate makes when it hits the pan :). If I buy canned soup, I usually go with Progresso....they make a few different varieties of tomato that are more like "real" tomato soup. And if you're going to have tomato soup, it's pretty much a law (or at least it should be) that you have to have grilled cheese too.....with real cheese, not that fake Kraft singles crap (but you're from Wisconsin, so I probably don't need to tell you that;) ).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely grilled cheese...and definitely real cheese! (Had 2 of 'em yesterday with my soup)

    I didn't want to ramble on even more, but a big part of the reason why I want to avoid all the salt in the soup (it seems like I inherited a slight salt intolerance/higher blood pressure) is that I'd rather use up my salt quota on cheese!

    ReplyDelete